Quick Setting Elastomeric Roof Coating
If you think you'll be saving the roofing decking plywood (not changing it), then you may save yourself some clean-up problem by removing the components initially and then peeling up the rubber! Information of water damage on camper roof. More water damaged areas on RV roof decking. There was nothing truly terrible that made me seem like I was going to fail, however absolutely a great deal of damage and I was getting the sensation I would be replacing a lot of the roof decking plywood.
Expancel For Elastomeric Cool Roof Coatings
I opted for the simplest one first, a vent cap from a cooking area sink pipes vent pipe. Beginning to scrape caulk and sealant. I used a stiff scraper with a chisel-like blade and simply started prying and chipping and scraping and hacking. There is no other method around this, you just need to start digging till you expose the screw heads.
Loosening the screws in vent cap. The screws on this vent cap were hex-head metal screws so I utilized a little socket driver to eliminate them. Some came out clean. Others were rusted and I needed to use a vice-grip pliers to get the heads and turn them bit by bit.
I found an old wasp nest inside the vent cover. This is a sight I'll most likely have to get used to, finding the remains of animal habitation in every nook and cranny. I invest a horrible lot of my time developing great wildlife habitat in my yard so I don't get offended when an animal chooses to set up home in my Recreational Vehicle.
Thankfully no one was home in this old nest so I just tossed it. Possibly I'll put a screen over it when changing it. Which brings us to the next point. You must try not to harm these pieces (like vent covers and caps) as you're scraping off the old caulk and sealant just in case you need to utilize them once again.
(Think I'll discover out when the roof is done!) Prying up the vent cap and removing the last ring of rubber roof underneath. So I pried up the rest of the cap and scraped up the staying rubber roofing and butyl tape and putty and 25 years of other gunk and here's how it looks cleaned up.
Consider An Elastomeric Roof Coating
One down, 7 more fixtures to go. Next I chose to deal with the only roofing system ventilation fan that my camper has. My roof vent also had a vent cover over it. So I started scraping the gunk from those screws. Beginning on the roofing vent. Hardware exposed on roof vent cap, the very first nut came off clean.
Elastomeric Roof Coating
Bolt is spinning. The fasteners on this Recreational Vehicle roofing vent cover were nuts on little bolts. The first one came off great with an extension socket set. The 2nd one simply started spinning, suggesting the bolt was not repaired in location however turning in addition to the nut. Bummer. A peek at the hardware holding down the roof vent cover.
I didn't have any excellent way to hold the bolt in location so instead I chose to saw through the bolts with a reciprocating saw. Sawing through bolts on roofing system vent cover. I utilized a cordless reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade but it was difficult to get the blade flat adequate to reach the bolts so near to the roof deck. A lot of were so old and rusted that they sheared off when I loosened then with a great deal of force. Unscrewing the brackets that held the vent cover in place. Then I scraped more caulk and roof sealant off the flange of the roofing vent itself. I soon found there disappeared screws or hardware holding it down so I gave up on the scraping and went inside the RV After scraping the caulk and sealant from flange of roofing vent, say goodbye to screws! Loosening the within cover plate of roof vent fan in RV bathroom.
A couple sheared off with a great deal of force, however 2 wouldn't budge. So I had to drill out the screw heads. I selected a drill bit near to the size of the shaft of the screws that I had actually currently pulled out and began drilling. Choosing a drill bit for drilling out a screw head.
Shatterproof glass advised. So I drilled out the heads, one popped off and the other I was getting upset with and offered it a pull prior to it was drilled through. Rather of popping off the screw head, the plastic just melted away around the hot screw head. Whoops. Hope I do not have to recycle this cover.
If not, I'll require broader screw heads when re-assembling. Cover plate eliminated from roofing system vent. Next I discovered little corner brackets with hex-head bolts holding them in. I loosened them (all came out great luckily) and pulled out the brackets and little white plastic spacers. Unscrewing corner brackets in roof vent.
All corner brackets got rid of, ready to take out. When the brackets were out I went back up top to pry out the the roofing system vent. Then I scraped up all the staying gunk and rubber roof. Taking off the old roof vent. There are two wires going to the roofing vent (a black hot wire and a white neutral wire) that you'll require to clip to eliminate the old vent.