Elastomeric Rv White Roof Coating
If you think you'll be saving the roofing decking plywood (not replacing it), then you may save yourself some cleanup problem by removing the components initially and after that peeling up the rubber! Detail of water damage on camper roofing system. More water damaged areas on RV roofing decking. There was nothing actually horrible that made me feel like I was going to fall through, however certainly a great deal of damage and I was getting the sensation I would be replacing a great deal of the roofing system decking plywood.
How Long Do Elastomeric Roof Coatings Last?
I chose the simplest one first, a vent cap from a cooking area sink plumbing vent pipeline. Beginning to scrape caulk and sealant. I used a stiff scraper with a chisel-like blade and simply started spying and chipping and scraping and hacking. There is no other method around this, you just need to start digging up until you expose the screw heads.
Loosening the screws in vent cap. The screws on this vent cap were hex-head metal screws so I utilized a small socket driver to eliminate them. Some came out tidy. Others were rusted and I needed to use a vice-grip pliers to grab the heads and turn them little bit by little.
I discovered an old wasp nest inside the vent cover. This is a sight I'll most likely have to get utilized to, finding the remains of animal habitation in every nook and cranny. I spend a horrible great deal of my time developing excellent wildlife habitat in my lawn so I do not get upset when a creature selects to set up home in my RV.
Fortunately nobody was home in this old nest so I just tossed it. Possibly I'll put a screen over it when changing it. Which brings us to the next point. You need to try not to harm these pieces (like vent covers and caps) as you're removing the old caulk and sealant just in case you need to use them once again.
(Think I'll discover when the roofing system is done!) Prying up the vent cap and eliminating the last ring of rubber roof beneath. So I pried up the rest of the cap and scraped up the staying rubber roof and butyl tape and putty and 25 years of other gunk and here's how it looks cleaned up.
How-to: Apply Cool Roof Coating
One down, 7 more components to go. Next I chose to deal with the only roofing system ventilation fan that my camper has. My roofing vent likewise had a vent cover over it. So I started scraping the gunk from those screws. Beginning on the roof vent. Hardware exposed on roofing system vent cap, the very first nut came off clean.
Jetcoat Cool King Reflective Acrylic Roof Coating, Waterproof
Bolt is spinning. The fasteners on this RV roof vent cover were nuts on little bolts. The very first one came off great with an extension socket set. The second one just started spinning, suggesting the bolt was not fixed in place but turning in addition to the nut. Disappointment. A peek at the hardware holding down the roof vent cover.
I didn't have any excellent way to hold the bolt in location so rather I decided to saw through the bolts with a reciprocating saw. Sawing through bolts on roof vent cover. I utilized a cordless reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade however it was tricky to get the blade flat adequate to reach the bolts so near the roof deck. Many were so old and rusted that they sheared off when I loosened then with a great deal of force. Unscrewing the brackets that held the vent cover in place. Then I scraped more caulk and roof sealant off the flange of the roof vent itself. I quickly discovered there were no more screws or hardware holding it down so I provided up on the scraping and went inside the RV After scraping the caulk and sealant from flange of roofing vent, say goodbye to screws! Loosening the within cover plate of roofing system vent fan in RV restroom.
A couple sheared off with a great deal of force, but two would not budge. So I needed to drill out the screw heads. I chose a drill bit near the size of the shaft of the screws that I had already taken out and began drilling. Selecting a drill bit for drilling out a screw head.
Shatterproof glass advised. So I drilled out the heads, one popped off and the other I was getting upset with and offered it a yank prior to it was drilled through. Rather of popping off the screw head, the plastic just dissolved around the hot screw head. Whoops. Hope I do not need to recycle this cover.
If not, I'll need larger screw heads when re-assembling. Cover plate removed from roofing system vent. Next I found little corner brackets with hex-head bolts holding them in. I loosened them (all came out great luckily) and pulled out the brackets and little white plastic spacers. Unscrewing corner brackets in roof vent.
All corner brackets got rid of, all set to pull out. When the brackets were out I returned up leading to pry out the the roofing system vent. Then I scraped up all the staying gunk and rubber roof. Taking off the old roofing vent. There are two wires running to the roofing vent (a black hot wire and a white neutral wire) that you'll need to clip to eliminate the old vent.