Kool Seal Premium 10 Year Elastomeric Roof Coating
If you believe you'll be conserving the roofing system decking plywood (not replacing it), then you might conserve yourself some cleanup trouble by getting rid of the components initially and after that peeling up the rubber! Information of water damage on camper roofing system. More water harmed areas on RV roofing decking. There was nothing truly dreadful that made me feel like I was going to fall through, however absolutely a great deal of damage and I was getting the sensation I would be changing a great deal of the roofing system decking plywood.
Roof Coat Elastomeric Coating Product Data Sheet
I opted for the most basic one first, a vent cap from a cooking area sink pipes vent pipeline. Beginning to scrape caulk and sealant. I used a stiff scraper with a chisel-like blade and just started spying and breaking and scraping and hacking. There is no other way around this, you simply have to begin digging until you expose the screw heads.
Loosening the screws in vent cap. The screws on this vent cap were hex-head metal screws so I utilized a little socket motorist to eliminate them. Some came out tidy. Others were rusted and I had to utilize a vice-grip pliers to get the heads and turn them bit by little.
I found an old wasp nest inside the vent cover. This is a sight I'll most likely need to get utilized to, discovering the remains of animal habitation in every nook and cranny. I invest an awful lot of my time developing good wildlife environment in my lawn so I don't get upset when a creature picks to set up house in my RV.
Luckily no one was home in this old nest so I simply tossed it. Possibly I'll put a screen over it when changing it. Which brings us to the next point. You need to try not to damage these pieces (like vent covers and caps) as you're removing the old caulk and sealant just in case you need to use them once again.
(Guess I'll learn when the roof is done!) Prying up the vent cap and eliminating the last ring of rubber roof beneath. So I pried up the rest of the cap and scraped up the remaining rubber roofing and butyl tape and putty and 25 years of other gunk and here's how it looks cleaned up.
Myths, Facts, And The Truth About Silicone And Elastomeric Roof Coatings
One down, 7 more fixtures to go. Next I chose to tackle the only roof ventilation fan that my camper has. My roof vent also had a vent cover over it. So I started scraping the gunk from those screws. Starting on the roof vent. Hardware exposed on roofing vent cap, the very first nut came off clean.
Elastomeric Rv White Roof Coating
Bolt is spinning. The fasteners on this Recreational Vehicle roofing vent cover were nuts on small bolts. The very first one came off great with an extension socket kit. The 2nd one simply began spinning, indicating the bolt was not fixed in location however turning along with the nut. Downer. A peek at the hardware holding down the roofing vent cover.
I didn't have any good way to hold the bolt in location so rather I decided to saw through the bolts with a reciprocating saw. Sawing through bolts on roofing system vent cover. I used a cordless reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade but it was tricky to get the blade flat enough to reach the bolts so near the roofing deck. The majority of were so old and rusted that they sheared off when I unscrewed then with a lot of force. Loosening the brackets that held the vent cover in place. Then I scraped more caulk and roofing sealant off the flange of the roofing system vent itself. I quickly found there were no more screws or hardware holding it down so I provided up on the scraping and went inside the Recreational Vehicle After scraping the caulk and sealant from flange of roof vent, no more screws! Unscrewing the within cover plate of roofing system vent fan in RV bathroom.
A couple sheared off with a great deal of force, however 2 would not budge. So I had to drill out the screw heads. I picked a drill bit near the size of the shaft of the screws that I had currently taken out and began drilling. Selecting a drill bit for drilling out a screw head.
Shatterproof glass suggested. So I drilled out the heads, one popped off and the other I was getting frustrated with and provided it a pull before it was drilled through. Rather of popping off the screw head, the plastic just dissolved around the hot screw head. Whoops. Hope I don't have to recycle this cover.
If not, I'll need broader screw heads when re-assembling. Cover plate eliminated from roof vent. Next I discovered little corner brackets with hex-head bolts holding them in. I loosened them (all came out great the good news is) and pulled out the brackets and little white plastic spacers. Unscrewing corner brackets in roofing vent.
All corner brackets got rid of, ready to take out. When the brackets were out I went back up top to pry out the the roof vent. Then I scraped up all the staying gunk and rubber roofing. Lifting off the old roof vent. There are two wires going to the roof vent (a black hot wire and a white neutral wire) that you'll need to clip to get rid of the old vent.